One of the most inspiring things about the current political moment is the wide and far-reaching creation of new civic and political groups. This Seattle chapter of the national group 500 Women Scientists recently launched with a strong kickstarter campaign and is now set up to do some serious good. Put them on your radar and if you are in a position to help them out, do so! (Civic Tide did!) Check out just some their mission and goals:
The mission of Seattle 500 Women Scientists is: […]
- To support justice in science, both in terms of fairness/equity in scientific institutions/practice and in how the costs and benefits of science are distributed in society
- To works towards a vibrant science community that is relevant to the people of the Puget Sound region.
- To promote inclusion in science for all people, regardless of gender, race, class, national background, or any other division or political affiliation.
- To create a community/network of women scientists in the Seattle area that reaches across fields, ages, professions.
- To promote scientific understanding and literacy among girls and women in particular, with an emphasis on important local issues like climate change, public health, and education.
- To promote diversity and inclusivity and to facilitate scientific literacy in the community as well as the government.
- To give women a voice and show unified support. To continue to advance scientific progress and demonstrate the value of basic understanding of the natural world in the face of repeated attempts to ignore basic facts at the national level.